Friday, September 21, 2012

Fishing the West Branch of the Delaware River (No.2)

The East Branch of the Delaware River

The West Branch of the "D" is considered to be the best trout fishing river in the east coast.
One of the reasons is that there is quite a bit of possibility for fishermen catching 20+ inches trout with dry-flies.
Even though I didn't catch such a "big shot" last week, I have to say fishing here has better days than some good days in other rivers.

I'd like to talk about a funny experience I had fishing in the East Branch of the "D" with my wife several years ago.         
We were drawn by an article on Fly Fishermen magazine which said we could fish large trouts with dry-flies when a lot of Green Drake hatched during the two weeks period in spring time, and these large trouts would surface to eat them.
Green Drake Fly (tied several years ago) 
To prepare for the trip, I spent a lot of time tying fancy Green Drake flies.  
When my wife and I arrived at one of the pools of the East Branch of the "D", many fishermen (even from Canada) had already lined up from the head of the pool to the end - they probably read the same article. We had no choice but to squeeze ourselves to the end of the line.  All of us were waiting motionlessly for the Green Drake hatches and spinner falls till dark, but Nothing Happened!  Everyone was very disappointed. We were in the water for about two hours.  
I remembered hearing a guy said, "What the hell are we doing here?" while he was leaving.  We also left, so did other fishermen.

After this trip to the East Branch, I returned there a couple of times without much luck either.
On the other hand, fishing the West Branch is challenging, but I have great fun.
I have made one more video of last week's trip. Please enjoy.


      
                             

2 comments:

  1. ニゴリーさん
    いつも楽しくブログのほう拝見させて頂いています。
    私もNYに住んでいて、フライフィッシングをします。
    来月の頭に、デラウエア川のウエストブランチに私も行こうと思っていますが、始めてなので、どこかオススメの場所があれば教えて頂けたら嬉しく思います。
    よろしくお願いします。

    Tより

    ReplyDelete
  2. 私も年中行くわけでもないので、川全体に詳しいわけでは無いですが、Upper Game Lands Poolでは
    いくらか良い思いをしています。Hale Eddy で17号を降り,橋をわたり、直ぐに左折して10分も走れば、左側に車が7~8台止まれる Access Point が有ります。秋ですから虫のハッチが無くてどうしようもない場合はHale Eddy に戻り、橋の下の瀬でニンフかウエットを試してみて下さい。

    ReplyDelete