Sunday, February 24, 2013

Steve Farrar's Flash Blend Fly

 The top fly is last year's 8-inch yak hair  bunker  with EZ body head which weighs 5g.  The new ones (middle and bottom) weigh only 3g.
My new saltwater season will be coming in a week or two.      
I have prepared some new flies.
Since I am a budget fly fisherman, I don't use many kinds of material for tying.
But when I saw the video of the mullet fly tying with the SF flash blend in YouTube, I was very
impressed by this material forming the bulky body fly so quickly and easily.

I ordered several different colors of SF Flash Blend online to add to my few lists of the saltwater fly material.
This material is so light and voluminous that one can make bulky flies easily with less material.
These qualities are what I have been looking for.
In the YouTube video, eyes were glued to the body directly.
But I am not sure whether this way of attaching the eyes is durable enough or not.  So I use pieces of clear plastic as the eye bases and tied them on the hook shank.

Last year's early spring, I saw a lot of  bunker activities in the Little Neck Bay and it will be my early season striper fishing spot.
If bunkers appear again like last year, I will use this new fly.
Let's see.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this video and showing the flies you tied! I will be giving it a try. I like fishing L.N.B. and am looking forward to getting out there when things warm up a bit more. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete