Saturday, February 9, 2013

Install Sic Rod Guides


Last season I found the stripping guide of my 10-weight 15-foot two-handed rod had a crack on the ceramic ring.
As a off-season project, I decide to replace all the guides.  I have used this rod in the saltwater for several years, so it is about time to get new guides.
After I had bought a 13-weight 16-foot rod two years ago, I intended to use the 15-foot one as a backup.  But I use the 15-foot quite often because the 16-foot is inconvenient in certain fishing area.

Sic guides are used on the tip top and stripping guides of the 16-foot rod, so I know Sic guides are strong and good.
During my research on rod guides in the internet, I come across some interesting conversations among surf casting fishermen who want to cast farther distance.
In one of the forums, a fisherman says he prefers Sic guides because he won't hear any noise when the line is running through the guides.  If other guides are used , he can hear noises.
I am kind of fascinated by how much these fishermen care about guides and the research they do to find better guides.     


I would say most fly fishermen are not so serious about their rod guides, myself included,
until I come across this site:
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/single-foot-sic-guides.10225/
Of course some fly fishermen do know how rod guides can make a difference.

I want to have the experience of  a rod with all Sic guides because I do care a lot about the casting distance in surf fishing.

I have just finished replacing the guides of my 15-foot rod with all Sic guides.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Great blog. I recently found your blog while searching for striper on fly in the surf.
    Be in NJ or NY for a day in mid October and thinking about to try Montauk or somewhere in Long Island.
    Any advice, info would be very helpful. Thanks, K.
    http://blog.goo.ne.jp/flyfishinginjapan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello K,
    For me personally,fishing the striper in the surf with a fly rod is not so easy.
    There is no exaggeration to say that sometimes I fish striper in the surf for 10 days without any luck.
    Since you plan for one-day fishing, I would suggest that you hire a fishing guide with a boat or just go to the piers or beaches near your hotel to try your luck.
    October is striper season in NY and NJ. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete