Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tenkara Fishing in the Catskills Mauntain(Ⅲ)



My wife and I spent last weekend in the Catskills fishing a mountain stream and the West Branch of Delaware with tenkara outfits.












It was her first time fishing the Catskills mountain stream and she caught a nice brookie.  I caught a few brookies too.













I would be satisfed just seeing a few of them.  
I felt continuing catching them would be harassing these pretty little fish.

                                  

We fished the West Branch of Delaware on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.
We tried several fast water stretches that were good for tenkara fishing.
The water level was 400~600 cfs.
Wading in this level and fast water was a little bit difficult for us, especially for my wife.
 I concentrated on drifting my fly along the undercut of the grassy bank at Shehawken, and I caught a 13- inch brown in the early Sunday morning.






















Later I also caught 3 more browns in Hale Eddy when I drifted the bead-head soft hackle flies swinging below me.
I didn't catch any 20+ inches trout which is not unusual in the Delaware.
Even if I caught one, I wasn't sure if my tankara rod could handle such a fish.
I find fishing in a big river with tenkara rod is not more difficult than nymphing with a fly rod.

                                                                                                                                                                                 












So far I only have experience in tankara fishing in the fast water.  I wander if tenkara fishing method (twitching the fly) in slow water of a large pool, such as Upper Game Land Pool, is effective.

The video below is a tenkara master fishing in a slow water pool.







No comments:

Post a Comment